Deputy General Counsel for Douglas County School District | Castle Rock, CO | Application Deadline: Until Filled
Supports the Chief Legal Counsel in his/her responsibilities to the Superintendent and the Board of Education as well as other District stakeholders on legal issues affecting the District. Provides legal advice and counsel to the School District’s Administration on a variety of legal topics impacting public schools with a particular emphasis on providing advice and counsel regarding personnel matters, including application of federal and state laws to the District’s work force and supporting the investigation of personnel matters. Provides training on legal issues which impact the District, and training applicable to reduction of legal risk to the District, particularly training on compliance with federal and state EEO laws, including compliance with Title IX, Title VII, FLSA, FMLA, and ADA; supports and/or represents the District and/or the Administration in administrative hearings and proceedings; reviews and develops policies and procedures as well as employee handbooks. Investigate and/or support the internal investigation of employee matters to provide legal advice to District’s Administration. Oversees and supports the work of Risk Management as related to personnel matters and oversees and supports the work of the District’s Records Assistant with CORA and subpoena responses.
- Licensed active attorney in Colorado.
- Juris Doctorate Degree.
$105,000 - $127,500
To apply, visit the Douglas County School District job portal.
Associate Attorney | Longmont, CO | Application Deadline: Until Filled
The Longmont, Colorado office of Lyons Gaddis has an opening for an experienced school district and public sector attorney, with an emphasis on Special Education.
Lyons Gaddis has served the needs of Colorado clients for over 45 years. We have a team-oriented culture with an unrelenting commitment to be the best at what we do. If you are interested in joining our team and your background aligns with our needs for this position, please reply with a letter of introduction, as well as a resume and a writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to hearing from you.
- Five years of experience in handling special education matters, as well as representing school districts and other public sector organizations.
- Passion for providing exceptional client service.
- Live in Northern Colorado or be willing to relocate.
CASB Staff Attorney | Denver, CO | Application Deadline: July 31
The Staff Attorney will be a contributing member of CASB’s member legal resources team, including:
- Research and develop resources to keep CASB members apprised of current legal issues affecting Colorado school districts;
- Serve as a resource for CASB-member school boards seeking general legal information;
- Provide legal support to CASB’s policy team;
- Develop and deliver presentations that provide general legal information to school board members and other school district personnel at district locations and CASB events.
- Juris Doctor degree and be licensed to practice law in Colorado or another state and be willing to seek admission to the Colorado bar;
- A minimum of 3 to 5 years of experience in education or public sector law preferred;
- Experience with policy research and/or development preferred;
- Demonstrated excellent oral and written skills, including public speaking;
- A genuine desire to work with people to improve public education in Colorado.
Please send a resume, cover letter, legal writing sample and salary requirements to Brittany Crossman at email@example.com. For more information, visit casb.memberclicks.net/job-posting--casb-staff-attorney
Associate Counsel for Labor & Employment | Baltimore City, MD | Application Deadline: Until Filled
The Associate Counsel for Labor & Employment for Baltimore City Public Schools will be responsible for handling matters related to employment and labor grievances and appeals including the preparation and presentation of cases before hearing officers, arbitration panels, administrative agencies, State and Federal Courts. Responsibilities may include participation in labor negotiations, providing counsel to administrative staff, policy formulation, litigation of various legal matters and providing training on School Law issues.
- Prepare for and defend City Schools in complex suits that are brought against it in State and Federal Courts.
- Represent City Schools in administrative proceedings.
- Perform legal research and render legal opinions on difficult questions that are raised, in particular issues involving current or potential litigation exposure.
- Provide legal advice and strategy respective of collective bargaining agreements.
- Advise staff on pay for performance models and issues.
- Familiarity with Federal, State, and City statutes and regulations including Title IX, Title VII, ADA, FLSA, ADEA and FMLA.
- Five years of legal experience including considerable direct experience in labor and employment law.
- Admission to the Maryland Bar.
Associate Counsel for Litigation | Baltimore City, MD | Application Deadline: Until Filled
The Associate Counsel for Litigation will be responsible for preparing and trying complex court cases for Baltimore City Public Schools in state, federal and appellate courts. The Associate Counsel will work closely with internal departments and officers as well as external counsel, as appropriate, regarding litigation matters.
- Prepares for and defends City Schools in complex suits that are brought in State and Federal Courts.Represents City Schools at court hearings and administrative proceedings.
- Performs legal research and renders legal opinions on difficult questions that are raised, in particular issues involving current or potential litigation exposure.
- Prepares and files briefs for cases before the United States Supreme Court, United States District Court of Appeals and Maryland Court of Appeals.
- Five years of litigation experience.
- Admission to the Maryland Bar.
Staff Attorney, Special Education | Baltimore County, MD | Application Deadline: Until Filled
Under general supervision, the staff attorney represents Baltimore County Public Schools in matters regarding the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, mediations, resolution conferences, and due process appeals. Staff attorney provides a variety of professional legal services as directed by the Deputy General Counsel and General Counsel.
- Represents Baltimore County Public Schools in special education mediations and due process hearings. Prepares school staff to participate in mediations and hearings.
- Evaluates cases and negotiates settlement agreements, requests for attorneys’ fees, expert fees, and reimbursements for independent evaluations. Attends IEP team meetings to support the team in decision-making.
- Reviews statutory amendments and regulations, judicial decisions, and federal agency decisions. Keeps current with pertinent legislation, regulations, and case law involving students with disabilities. Provides clarification and procedural updates for special education staff and school administrators.
- Coordinates and conducts in-service training related to procedural safeguards and team processes. Serves as a consultant to schools to ensure compliance with laws and regulations regarding students with disabilities and their parents. Assists teachers and administrators in responding to student and parental concerns.
- Responds to complaints regarding special education and student related Section 504 issues. Conducts legal research on issues raised in complaints, formulates legal opinions and provides advice.
- Represents the Superintendent in administrative hearings, as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Juris doctorate degree from an accredited school of law.
- Member of the Maryland State Bar required.
- Two years of professional experience in the practice of law which includes experience with legal issues involving students with disabilities.
- Demonstrated experience with litigation, negotiation, mediation and administrative hearings.
For more information on requirements and to apply for this position, visit the Baltimore County's job portal.
Staff Attorney | Philadelphia, PA| Application Deadline: Until Filled
PSBA is seeking a staff attorney to provide advice, analysis, consultation, training and educational information to public school leaders on a wide variety of legal focus areas impacting public school system and non-profit corporation governance, including constitutional law, administrative law, employment law, labor relations, governmental financial administration, state and federal civil rights law, student and employee constitutional rights, disability law, public agency procurement, municipal taxation, government transparency, liability risk management and legislative analysis. Advocacy work includes involvement in legislative matters as well as practice before state and federal appellate courts.
- Licensed attorney admitted in PA (or can become admitted within 6 months)
- Minimum three years’ experience in law practice substantially focused on education law or related legal areas listed above.