Characteristics of a Good Instructional System
Use the following guidelines for evaluating your instructional
(Teachers and Technology, ITTE)
- The curriculum and the instructional program are based on
competencies required for a specific job.
- It lets the trainee know what to expect. It describes
both the systems and the trainees
- It provides the trainee with the occupational context,
including a general description of the occupational area,
a description of the job, the conditions under which it
is generally performed, and the generally accepted
standards for it performance.
- It is made up of carefully engineered learning
experiences designed to develop the specified
competencies in the target trainees.
- The trainee controls the pace, sequence, and strategy of
- It demonstrates or describes the skill or knowledge to be
learned in a way that the trainee understands.
- It is interactive (i.e. it actively involves the trainee
throughout the training.)
- It provides opportunity for the trainee to practice the
skill or internalize the knowledge.
- It provides opportunity for the trainee to perform the
skill or use the knowledge under conditions closely
resembling the job.
- It provides opportunity for trainees to test themselves
on the skills and knowledge taught.
- It provides alternative learning strategies to meet the
range of individual learning characteristics found in the
trainee group(s). This normally requires a variety of
media to satisfy the range of such characteristics.
- It measures performance and provides results to the
trainee and to the instructor based upon the specific job
- Competency achievement data are used to improve the
effectiveness and efficiency of the system. For example,
when trainees fail to achieve a competency within a
reasonable time, the training system is examined to see
what wen wrong and then adjusted accordingly.
Keys to Effective Teacher Training Programs
- Incentives and Support for Teacher Training
- Teacher-directed Training
- Adequate Access to Technology
- Community Partnerships
- On-going Informal Support and Training Opportunities