A School Board Vision for Public Education
As the National School Boards Association (NSBA) moves from planning toward implementing the “New NSBA”, a key priority centers on making the association a more visible, influential and recognized advocacy organization. The New NSBA is bold change, pursued with a sense of urgency, while, at the same time, enacted thoughtfully and deliberately.
Today NSBA releases publicly its Board-approved unified framework. To evolve a true “army of advocates” poised to influence key federal legislative issues, public school advocates must be unified in our messaging and proactive in our delivery. Being “on message” is the baseline against which we can aggressively pursue NSBA’s federal agenda, deal with an emerging environment in Congress, address critical priorities in education and school governance, and promote key strengths of NSBA.
The unified framework includes:
- A comprehensive vision statement entitled “A School Board Vision for Public Education”
- A highlights-only “elevator speech” that recaps key tenets of the full vision statement (NSBA is printing 5,000 pocket-size laminate cards for distribution at upcoming meetings and events. For copies, contact Linda Embrey at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Guiding principles for implementation to frame the development of specific resolutions in three (3) areas:
- Public Education
- Local School Board Governance, and
- Equity and Excellence in Education
Help us to move NSBA vision into reality. In addition to better defining the NSBA role in preserving and advancing the critical role of public education, this new framework ensures that public school advocates operate consistent with the same conceptual vision and guiding principles for implementation. These important tools aim to inform and guide those working to accelerate our efforts to advance NSBA advocacy positions and priorities.
Staff contact: Lisa A. Bushey, Associate Executive Director, Public Advocacy & Communications, email@example.com, or 703.838.6743.